Medical Science Liaison, Psychiatry (Ontario) Job at Lundbeck Toronto, ON
We are currently looking for a Medical Science Liaison to join the Lundbeck Medical and Regulatory Affairs team. This position is permanent full-time for Ontario. The employee will report to the MSL Manager.
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a field‑based scientific expert who drives the local medical strategy for marketed and emerging products. The MSL establishes and fosters peer‑level relationships with Canadian Key Opinion Leaders, health care professionals (HCPs), and other stakeholders by providing objective scientific information, engaging in balanced discussion, and collecting insights into disease management and unmet needs. The MSL also brings insights and scientific knowledge back to internal stakeholders to further inform strategy development. In addition to advancing Lundbeck’s presence and medical interests in strategic therapeutic areas, the MSL also serves as the primary internal source of product‑related, disease area, and competitive knowledge.
The safety of our patients:
The MSL is expected to immediately forward any reports of adverse events or special situations on our products as well as any product complaints and counterfeit or suspected counterfeit medicine to Medical Information and Pharmacovigilance ( ) as per training on current procedures.
Health Care Professionals and External Stakeholders (70%)
The MSL establishes value-driven working relationships with members of the Canadian health care community who have regional, national, or international influence over disease management. Through these relationships, the MSL discusses the most up-to-date and accurate therapeutic and scientific and medical knowledge, while advancing awareness of the disease state, therapeutic trends, and scientific research. In so doing, the MSL:
- Acts within the Medical department strategy which, in turn, is aligned with brand strategy;
- Interacts with Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs), other health care professionals (HCPs), professional associations, and other stakeholders to obtain insights on disease management and clinical data (current and emerging) within relevant therapeutic portfolios;
- May initiate discussions around current scientific, medical, and clinical information related to Lundbeck products and the conditions for which they treat. The MSL may hold discussions falling outside of the product labelling only in response to unsolicited requests from HCPs for off-label information;
- Seeks and develops opportunities to educate HCPs and stakeholders in strategic areas;
- Delivers scientifically balanced and objective presentations to groups of strategic importance such as groups of key HCPs, and P&T committees; Identifies opportunities for engaging KOLs and recommends those with the appropriate expertise for participation in medical activities (e.g., assess and recommend sites for clinical research and advisors for medical advisory board, and evaluate unsolicited proposals for investigator initiated trials within the medical department).
The MSL will develop expertise in emerging products and portfolios in advance of the commercial business unit. The MSLs may conduct strategic pre- and post-launch activities that serve to establish the therapeutic imperative and clinical value of emerging products in accordance with the product medical plan. The MSL will build a strong scientific foundation for the global brand strategy by:
- Engaging KOLs in discussions to recognize and develop knowledge in specific disease-related areas that are strategically important for emerging products;
- Identifying and developing relationships with new opinion leaders and stakeholders who share strategic interests;
- Sharing early product experience gained from clinical trial investigators;
Cross-functional teams (30%)
- Work with field teams, including Mental Health Specialists, and Alliance partners;
- Contribute to Market Access initiatives (development of product-related value proposition, present clinical data to decision-makers);
- Provide ad-hoc support for critical business activities in other departments;
- Work collaboratively with Scientific Advisor to identify potential clinical investigators for Phase II/III and post-marketing programs;
- Work collaboratively with Medical head office, clinical research organizations (CRO), and research site personnel to support local company sponsored research activities
- Provide scientific training when needed to further develop scientific competencies of Lundbeck sales force;
- Support Market Access when needed for the development and delivery of credible scientific knowledge to payers to maximize the commercial potential of Lundbeck product portfolio;
- MD, PharmD, Ph.D. in life sciences.
- Minimum of two (2) to three (3) years of experience in a similar position within the Canadian pharmaceutical industry or any other scientific field.
- Scientific expertise in therapeutic field (psychiatry) is an asset.
- Superior communication skills, such as speaker (an asset).
- Knowledge of the regulations governing the pharmaceutical industry.
- Hold a valid driver’s license.
- Bilingualism (French & English), oral and written, for positions in Quebec.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
We are strongly committed to promoting equity, diversity and inclusion within our community.
All applications will be considered, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
About the Company
Company Location: Toronto, ON