Field Research Technician: Insect Biology (Home based) Job at BigSis – Maidstone
BigSis (http://bigsis.tech), a UK start-up, is building a broad portfolio of sustainable insect control solutions that could substitute the majority of the £12.5bn chemical insecticides in use today. Following a successful field trial last year, we are currently running a number of additional trials near Maidstone in Kent.
Reporting to the Head of R&D, the Field Research Technician has a central role in the testing and deployment of BigSis solutions, which are based on the sterile insect technique, in field conditions. You will perform the accurate execution of treatment and monitoring protocols at a number of sites. This will involve replacing insect traps, releasing BigSis sterile insects and scoring the traps back in the laboratory. There may be an opportunity for a permanent role after this project.
Responsibilities will include:
- Field trials: regular visits to the trial sites in Kent
- Releasing sterile male insects at designated release points
- Replacing and scoring insect traps
- Recording changes and data from the field, e.g. changes in weather, farm control methods
- Organising and analysing data generated from field trials
Qualifications and experience
- Since full training is provided, field work experience is not required but would be an advantage.
- Enthusiasm, commitment and attention to detail are more important than academic qualifications.
- You need to be able to follow processes accurately while observing all safety and hygiene rules (including for Covid-19).
- You will need to keep diligent written records of the procedures followed and results of analyses. Familiarity with Word and Excel would be an advantage.
- This job involves a large amount of time working in field conditions, often under polytunnels on a farm. You must be capable of carrying out moderately intense physical work.
- A full UK driving licence and own transport is mandatory.
To thrive in the unstructured and fast-changing environment of a start-up, important personal qualities are:
- energy, ambition and commitment to ensure the job gets done
- honesty, integrity and openness to ensure we build a great company culture
- flexibility to changes in priorities and adaptability to new ideas
We regret that we cannot accept applications from individuals who do not already have the right to work in the UK.
Please provide a CV and cover letter, including your most recent salary.
BigSis is an equal opportunities employer. Applicants will be considered without attention to age, sex, race, disability, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment and religious background.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary contract
Contract length: 3 months
Salary: £20,000.00-£23,000.00 per year
- Do you have a full UK driving licence and your own transport?
- United Kingdom (required)
About the Company
Company: BigSis –
Company Location: Maidstone